Friday, July 8, 2011

A Christmas Grand Guignol in Prague


Two carp.
Two carp biting chunks out of each other
trapped in a small bath tub
Left there for days, ten to be exact,
to eliminate the muddy taste
that bottom feeders often have
Sweet meat for Christmas dinner.
Christmas was coming To Prague

The "Golden City"
that birthed Kafka, and The Golem
The city that Kafka once  called "The little mother with claws."
There was Pani Uteshena, my Ukrainian born landlady
I rented her deceased husband's library
in a sprawling Stalin-era apartment complex
painted in acres and acres of ochre
Mrs Uteshena, the little grandmother with claws

Christmas was coming to Prague.
I saw the signs:  the tubs of live carp
on each street corner.
At home in the U.S. we have over the top 
retina burning displays,
gaudy Christmas colors everywhere.
In Prague,  tubs of live carp.
Red holiday blood splatters the white snow- Ho ho ho!

A burly man will club a carp for you- CRACKKK!
Or you can take it home
and club it yourself
"People don't do that anymore" he said.
I was reassured that I wouldn't find
a surprise in the bathtub
Mrs. Uteshena, though, was a traditionalist.
So for ten reeking days I couldn't shower
Waiting for the day of the carp's reckoning


When the day finally came, I was ready
towel, soap and toothbrush in my hand,  
I waited for a sign
I listened for a sign
Then  a  WHAP! WHAP! WHAP! from behind the door.
I felt like Joan Blondell, who played the fat hooker
in the 60's shocker  film "Lady in a Cage"
when the hoodlums stabbed 
her wino buddy to death
behind the couch where she was seated.
Off-camera violence- WHAP! WHAP! WHAP!
I quickly went to the bath tub, 
rinsed off the remnants
of  the carps' brain and scales
left over from the profuse drubbing
and relished the warm water rushing over me.



Debra Girard, July 8, 2011
   
Grand-Guignol-001.jpg





No comments:

Post a Comment