Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Brawlers

Brawlers
by Debra Girard on Monday, June 13, 2011 at 9:57pm

I live facing the alley
a  bougainvillea  -lovely insignificant papery flowers
that rarely bloom, but provide 
a tiny sense of privacy
even, dare I say
"security"
and sometimes even some color.
The sparrows enjoy their territorial noisemaking
exclaiming- exclaiming- exclaiming.
I didn't notice this before, but right now there is dead silence.
I hear a large battle going on near the gate
a brawl is once again taking place
I grab the phone.  The brawlers are suddenly quiet
feathers spill out from one of the bushes
 a tiny hawk emerges, waddling sideways
with its talons clutching its prey
A Cooper's?  Half the size of it's paralyzed prey
lifts off-teeters- lifts off again.
Over the chipped repainted graffitied patina of the dumpster
A blur of reddish brown spots
and dun grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment