Friday, July 8, 2011

Catbird


 D L Girard, July 5, 2011

"You can stay"
So D. found a spot to roost
wildly turning his head
from side to side, not unlike a praying mantis
when it eyes its prey
flapping his arms
punctuating his sentences with
"Wowww, maaan!"

So he stayed and
Regaled us with stories of his travels
across the states,
His deals, his near escapes
comically flapping his arms all the while
He introduced us to hashish
laced with what is erroneously called angel dust
Starting to panic, my heart pounding in my ears
the telltale heart, 
revealing my paranoia, my panic
To prevent a stir,
I busied myself by cooking sopapillas, sofapillas all night
The puffy bits of fried dough
permeating my clothes along with burnt Crisco

At one of our many impromptu parties
he brought some "friends"
one pasty, jerking and hopping
the junkie's jig
disappearing with D., then reappearing
on our sofa gloriously sated
I knew.  I had  Cathode Ray images of "The Man With the Golden Arm"
flashing in my fourteen year old head.

One day D. flew, presumably
back to De Moines
back to where my ancestors lived for generations
back to my mother's home town
She knew his family-small  world!
leaving me wondering
if he finally found his own nest
leaving room for another to take his place.


Video courtesy of MC Jungle Paul.


No comments:

Post a Comment